|Record #: MCI0106||Last Modified: 11 Apr 2019||Last Full Update: 24 Feb 2017|
|Public Bulletin||Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16648 Cabot Trail, situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37639 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.|
|Located In||Pleasant Bay|
|Where To Find Us||
Cape Breton Highlands National Park
Pleasant Bay, NS B0C 1L0
|Areas Served||Inverness County|
|Phone||902 224 2306|
|Contact||Sarah MacDonald; Phone: 902-295-2554|
|Description & Services|
|Trail Rating||Suitable for all skill levels.|
Length: 0.5 km (0.3 mi) loop
Elevation: 410 m (1,345 ft)
Significant Features: Boreal and taiga forest, highland bog
In keeping with Parks Canada's mandate to protect the natural environment, a boardwalk keeps your feet dry as you walk while preventing you from trampling the fragile life in this highland plateau bog.
A self guiding trail, signs explain life here – pitcher plants, delicate orchids, colourful dragonflies, green frogs and gigantic moose.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
|Eligibility||All ages. Family Friendly Trail. Self Guided.|
|Hours||Hiking Time: 15 minutes|
|Dates||Open from mid-May until mid-October|
|Accessibility||Fully Wheelchair Accessible - Wheelchair accessible interpretive loop; Ideal for baby strollers ; A park pass is required all year for hiking or use of other services in the park.|
|Tags||Active Living ; All abilities welcome ; All Things Trails ; Cape Breton Connect ; Family-friendly ; Hiking ; Maps ; National Parks and Historic Sites ; NS Trail Guide ; Park ; Recreation Categories ; Tourism ; Trails ; Walking|
|Categories - General||Boardwalks/Promenades ; Hiking Trails ; Maps ; National Parks ; Wheelchair Users|