Translate This Page


Bon Portage Island lighthouse

Record #: MDS0119
Last Modified: 02 Mar 2021
Last Full Update: 25 Nov 2020


Located In Municipality of the District Barrington
Where To Find Us
Bon Portage Island, NS
Areas Served Shelburne County


Social Media Facebook
Contact Misty James, Recreation Director; Phone: 902-637-2015 ext 239; Email:
Alternate Contact Joel d'Entremont, Physical Activity Coordinator; Phone: 902-637-2015 ext 237; Email:
Mailing Address c/o Barrington Municipal Recreation 
PO Box 100 
27 Park Lane 
Barrington, NS B0T 1E0
Fax 902-637-2598

Description & Services

The Bon Portage Island lighthouse was established in 1874. For 110 years, 16 principal lightkeepers and their families kept the light burning on this small, windswept island.  
The longest serving keeper was Morrill Richardson, who along with his wife Evelyn, bought the island (except for the lighthouse property) in 1929. 
In 1945, Evelyn Richardson’s classic book We Keep A Light was published and quickly became a best-seller in Canada. She described her family’s life on the island with sensitivity and humour, noting both the disadvantages and joys of life on an isolated island. 
Bon Portage Lighthouse was replaced in 1964 by the current building. 
Accessible only by boat.