Milton Clock Tower Park
|Record #: YAR0123||Last Modified: 01 Mar 2020||Last Full Update: 01 Mar 2020|
|Located In||Yarmouth (town)|
|Where To Find Us||
|Areas Served||Yarmouth County|
|Mailing Address||c/o Yarmouth Recreation
932 Highway 1
Hebron, NS B5A 5Z5
|Description & Services|
The Milton Clock Tower Park is an open space and picnic area with interpretive panels.
Erected in 1911 at a cost of $1200.00, the original Milton Clock was donated by Mrs. Robert Caie. The mechanical works of the clock were manufactured by J. Smith and Sons, Midland Clock Works, Derby, England. Located in the tower at Milton Engine Company fire station, the clock was a local landmark until the station was destroyed by fire in 1989. The original clockworks were damaged in the fire. The clock in this contemporary tower located on Water Street, Yarmouth, N.S. towards the head of Yarmouth Harbour contains the original painted metal clock faces salvaged from the fire. These have been mounted in front of an electronic movement. The clock hands are replicas of the hands used with the original clockworks. The community name Milton originates from the presence of a cluster of water-powered grist, saw, and carding mills situated where Lake Milo empties into Yarmouth Harbour.
Click here for a map of Recreation Areas in the town of Yarmouth.
|Tags||Park ; Recreation Categories ; South Shore Connect|