Benjie's Lake Trail
|Public Bulletin||Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Rd., situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.|
|Located In||French Mountain|
|Where To Find Us||
Highlands National Park, NS
|Areas Served||Inverness County|
Description & Services
Level trail, suitable for most skill levels. Some muddy sections.
On the plateau at the top of the mountain, this trail crosses wet barrens and evergreen forests typical of the highlands, ending at a small lake.
Boardwalks in some sections keep you dry and protect the habitat from trampling.
Moose are frequently seen as well as a variety of northern birds.
Length: 3 km (1.9 mi) return
Elevation: 400 m (1,315 ft)
Significant Features: Boreal highland forest
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
|Hours||Approximately 1 - 1.5 hours to complete trail|
|Dates||Open from mid-May until the end of October. A park pass is required for hiking or use of other services in the park; park entry fee applies.|