Fishing Cove Trail
|Public Bulletin||A park pass is required all year for hiking or use of other services in the park; park entry fee applies. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Rd., situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.|
|Located In||Pleasant Bay|
|Where To Find Us||
Cape Breton Highlands National Park
MacKenzie Mountain - Cabot Trail
Pleasant Bay, NS B0E 2P0
|Areas Served||Inverness County|
Description & Services
|Trail Rating||Difficult: Steep descent. Some muddy sections. No potable water on site.|
Significant Feature: Acadian forest, ocean cove and headlands
Length: 12 km (7.5 mi) return (also a 5.7 km (3.6 mi) alternate route)
Elevation: 0 - 355 m (0 - 1165 ft.)
Activites: Birding & wildlife, Hiking
You are 355 metres (1165 feet) above sea level! Hike from the top of the mountain about 6 kilometres down to a small ocean cove and grassy clearing - the only designated wilderness camp site in the park. This was once the site of a Scottish fishing community and these settlers traded with the French for supplies. Explore the beach, roam the hills or swim in fresh or salt water. You must register at a park visitor centre prior to camping.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
|Hours||Hiking Time: 5 - 6 hours|
|Dates||May 20 - October 10|